Aerospace Systems Technical Group

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

The AEROSPACE SYSTEMS TECHNICAL GROUP is concerned with the application of human factors to the development, design, certification, operation, and maintenance of human-machine systems in aviation and space environments. The group addresses issues for civilian and military systems in the realms of performance and safety.

Funded Postdoctoral and graduate students positions - Human factors in aviation

• 1.  Funded Postdoctoral and graduate students positions - Human factors in aviation

Posted 10-27-2022 11:09

I have opportunities for funded positions for one Postdoctoral fellow and two graduate students (Master or PhD) to join the cognitive engineering group at Polytechnique Montreal.

You will work on the Advanced Airspace Usability project (ADAIR) to design the flight deck of the future. In this project, you will investigate the future tasks of pilots and how technology will change aviation in the next 15 years; prototype human-machine interactions on a flight simulator and test your designs with real pilots.

More specifically, you will focus your work on one of the three topics:

• Trajectory-Based Operations (TBO) which adds time constraints to the flight plan. It involves the use of the flight management system (FMS) and graphical flight planning.
    • Data management and datalink communication, with the objective to move from radio to datalink as the primary means of communication.
    • Flight deck design, to reflect the changing role of the pilot into a mission manager.

ADAIR started in September 2022 and involves close collaboration between three Canadian universities (Polytechnique, McGill, Toronto Metropolitan) and five aerospace companies (Bombardier, CMC Electronics, Marinvent, Presagis, Thales).

Positions

• Postdoctoral fellow (full-time position). Salary + benefits of CAD 60,000/year. Duration up to 3 years. Start date: Winter 2023
    • PhD students. Scholarship of CAD 22,500/year. Minimum duration 3 years. Start date: from Winter 2023 to Fall 2023

Requirements

• Background in Engineering, Computer science, Ergonomics or Psychology with courses in human factors
    • Practical experience to conduct user-centered design activities: user studies, HMI prototyping, usability tests.
    • Experience in aviation is an asset e.g., test in flight simulator, flight deck design, avionics technologies.

Application Instructions

Post-doctoral fellow should provide a statement of your research interests, your resume, and list of publications you authored explaining your role in the work.

Graduate students should provide a statement of your research interests, your resume, and transcripts.

Please send your application via email to philippe.doyon-poulin@polymtl.ca

Supervisor

I am a professor in cognitive engineering at Polytechnique Montreal. I work in the field of user-centered design and human factors in aviation to improve the pilot's interaction with the aircraft. You can learn more about my work at https://www.polymtl.ca/expertises/en/doyon-poulin-philippe.

You will be joining my research group with master and doctoral students. I have already supervised several graduate and undergraduate students and my work has been featured in the media. This combination of engineering and design is what you will be working on.

City News (English) https://montreal.citynews.ca/video/2021/08/09/montreal-designing-aircraft-flight-deck-of-the-future/

Découverte (French) https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/decouverte/site/segments/reportage/418788/cockpit-avion-pilote-ergonomie

------------------------------
    Philippe Doyon-Poulin
    Assistant Professor
    Lachine QC
    ------------------------------